With the new year, brings new goals and dreams. For many of us, it’s a time to identify areas for personal improvement or to take on a big challenge. So, it’s no surprise that Netflix’s show, Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, was released New Year’s Day with folks wanting to improve and start the year off right. Perhaps that’s by decluttering their homes and lives.
If you’ve watched the show or read her book, Marie Kondo asks for a commitment. Then goes through a specific methodology (the KonMari Method) to tidy up based on categories (clothes, papers, etc.), not rooms. Ultimately, she asks…”does this item spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If it doesn’t, time to part with it. So, how does that apply to you?
On the health front, the start of the year may mean it’s a Dry January or a Whole30 month. Or, perhaps a new fitness plan. And we start out of the gate feeling great. But, by day 2 or 20, we’re ready to get back to our old habits! Depending on the study, failures rates range between 70-90% for most people who set a New Year’s resolution.
So, maybe we can take some tips from Marie Kondo on tidying up our health:
1. Are you committed to taking care of your health?
2. Tackle your health by categories – Mental, physical, emotional, social, environmental and spiritual health. What do you need to remove or add in each of those?
3. Recruit others to help and keep you accountable. Thank yourself and those who help you on your journey.
4. Take small steps to improve.
5. Ask yourself, does great health spark joy? Hopefully, it does because you’re only given one life to live!
What’s often missing in this process is a healthcare partner to help you get started on the right path. The start of the year is a great time to get your annual check-ups and well-woman exams done. It’s also a perfect time to get blood work/labs completed, pain and injuries assessed and to resolve some of those ongoing issues you need to address…perhaps it’s diet, high blood pressure, shoulder or back pain or more.
Time to start the journey to tidy up your health! Let Pro-Care primary care providers, our chiropractic team or weight loss program help make sure this year is the year you spark and create joy!